Homeowners who use gas appliances should always be on the lookout for gas line leaks. These leaks are dangerous because gas is a toxic fume when inhaled by humans and animals. It is also extremely flammable and should always be handled by highly-trained professionals like the technicians at Knight Plumbing, Inc.
What Causes Gas Line Leaks?
Gas lines are designed to move gas efficiently from your tanks to your appliances. If there is a disruption in the pipes, or the pipe has sustained damage, you may experience a leak. Some of the most common causes of leaks include:
- Damaged pipelines from dust or dirt floating through the air.
- Old, worn-out gas lines.
- Corrosion or other damage caused by extreme weather events such as large storms, tornados, earthquakes, and more.
If you have recently experienced an extreme weather event, or you are worried that your pipeline has been damaged, call a professional right away, we can often spot the weak point in the pipe and repair it before it even becomes an issue.
Foul and musty smells in your home can be signs of a water leak! We're here to help you with water leak detection and repairs with no surprises.
Signs of Gas Line Leaks
If you experience any of the following signs or symptoms in your home, you may have a gas leak:
- Rotten egg smell: Gas is typically odorless, but gas companies put an additive in it to make it smell like rotten eggs. This makes it easier to detect a leak.
- Hissing sound: A rip in the pipeline will cause the gas to leak out and may result in a hissing sound. Be mindful of this sound coming from your gas appliances or the pipeline itself.
- Dead grass: A leak underground will cause the grass and vegetation above to turn brown and die. If you notice dead grass near your pipeline, call a professional right away.
What to Do?
If you are experiencing a gas line leak, follow these steps to ensure a quick repair and keep your family safe:
- Call the gas company to turn off the gas to your home.
- Call the experts at Knight Plumbing, Inc. for a fast repair.
- Open all the windows to air the place out.
- Ensure all appliances are turned off or unplugged.
- Evacuate your family and pets.
Not sure when's the last time you had a gas line replacement? Call our gas fitters for a new line installation today.
Why Work With Us?
In addition to thorough leak detection services and comprehensive repairs, we also make the following guarantees and promises to better serve our customers:
- Upfront pricing
- Licensed, qualified help from a clean, knowledgeable and respectful technician
- Guaranteed short appointment window appointments